In 1896, Dall DeWeese and C.R.C. Dye incorporated the DeWeese-Dye Ditch and Reservoir Company to bring water from Grape Creek to the 1,500 acres of land they were developing with 200,000 fruit trees and 500,000 shade trees in Lincoln Park, just south of Canon City, Colorado. Today, water from DeWeese-Dye Ditch and Reservoir Company continues to irrigate lands and growers in Lincoln Park -- serving properties located below the ditch from Grape Creek Drive to Brookside.
DeWeese-Dye Ditch water comes from the Grape Creek drainage in the, Westcliffe and South Colony area of Custer County, southwest of Canon City. In addition to direct flow rights on Grape Creek, we store water for our use in DeWeese Reservoir, unlike other ditch companies in the Canon City area that take water directly from the Arkansas River.
After leaving the reservoir, water is diverted from Grape Creek (approximately a mile above the confluence with the Arkansas River) into our system, where it flows about seven miles through open ditch, pipes, tunnels and siphons, providing water for the three small reservoirs located in Lincoln Park. The small reservoirs are filled during the night and the water is released to the various divisions below each reservoir during the day. In the evening, the water is directed back to the reservoirs and the cycle begins again. The water travels approximately thirty hours from the DeWeese Reservoir to the diversion point on Grape Creek, then another four hours to reach 9th Street.